I’m back with another recipe post.
This time, I decided on celebrating the second episode of the current series of The Great British Bake Off (you can read my thoughts on the episode HERE) by making not one but two sweet treats.
To mark the second episode of GBBO, I thought I’d make rocky road (a delicious and simple treat my family and friends always request) and flapjacks (something I’d tried plenty of times before, but never made!).
Both bakes are perfect for quiet nights in, eating with a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate or they’d make the perfect gift (that is if you can keep your hands off them, at least!).
Rocky roads take 20 minutes plus freezing time (they should be chilled for at least 2 hours). The flapjacks take 50 minutes.
Here’s how a few simple ingredients (and some of your sweet time) turn into this:
200g digestive biscuits (can use other biscuits, e.g. rich tea/shortbread/chocolate digestive biscuits)
135g butter/ margarine
200g chocolate (I used 100g dark, 100g milk. Can use other types if you prefer)
2-3 tbsps golden syrup
100g mini marshmallows (these can be substituted for nuts, fruit or whatever you fancy!)
Icing sugar (to dust)
1. Line a square tin with baking parchment
2. Place the biscuits in a freezer bag or in a bowl and bash using a rolling pin until they’re broken into a mixture (everything between dust and 50p sized lumps).
3. Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a pan (I usually melt these ingredients in a bowl over a pan of boiling water) until there are no lumps visible. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
4. Take the biscuits and marshmallows (plus any additional ingredients you choose to include) and stir into the chocolate mixture until everything is completely covered.
5. Carefully tip the mixture into the lined tin and leave to chill for at least 2 hours.
6. When ready, cut into fingers or squares, dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
If that wasn’t enough for you, here’s how a few humble ingredients turn into this:
100g Demerara sugar
75ml Golden Syrup
A dash of vanilla extract (can use another extract, e.g almond, if you prefer)
250g rolled oats
100g chocolate (can use whatever chocolate you like, I used milk)
(I actually made a few without the chocolate, but I didn’t manage to get a nice enough picture of them unfortunately!)
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a square tin with baking parchment.
2. Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan and heat until melted together.
3. Remove from heat, mix in the oats and your chosen extract
4. Press into the lined tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden.
5. Leave to cool until firm (should take about 5 minutes) and then cut into bars. Leave to cool completely.
6. Melt the chocolate and half dip the flapjacks in the chocolate mix. Leave to cool until set, then serve.
That’s me for now but, as always, I’ll be posting my thoughts on the latest episode of The Great British Bake Off. So, stay tuned!
Have any of you been baking this weekend?