Hope you’ve had a great weekend, whatever you’ve been up to! I spent mine trying to get some uni reading done, babysitting my little nephew and getting stuff prepped for my 21st birthday (which I’m sort of in denial is happening if I’m completely honest).
I guess that explains my choice for this week’s recipe (not as exciting as last week’s chocolate brownies ) as butterfly cakes are something I’ve made since I was young- my fondest memories are baking with my parents and grandparents over the years, and I suppose this is one of the earliest recipes I remember making.
(My photos aren’t the best as I had to rush, considering my family were waiting to eat them!).
Here’s how a few simple ingredients make these:
For the cakes:
– 100g butter
– 100g caster sugar
– 100g plain flour
– 2 eggs
– a dash of vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
– 50g butter
– 75g icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180 (fan)/ 200c/ gas mark 6 and line your tin with cupcake cases.
2. Mix your butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale
3. Add the eggs and flour, plus a dash of vanilla extract (or whatever extract you like) and mix together completely
4. Fill your cases with the mixture and bake for 15 minutes (or when the cakes are golden brown)
5. For the buttercream, mix the butter and sugar together- spoon this mix onto your cooled cakes.
6. Cut your wing shapes out of the top of the cake (fill any gaps in with your buttercream), sprinkle some sugar on top (if you want) and enjoy.
Although they aren’t the prettiest things, these cakes are delicious. Plus they’re perfect for making with friends or with little ones.
That’s me for now but, as always, I’ll be sharing my thoughts on the latest episode of The Great British Bake Off. So stay tuned!
(You can keep up to date with my thoughts so far: Week One| Week Two| Week Three| Week Four)
Have any of you been baking this weekend?
3 thoughts on “Butterfly cakes”
Mmm these look so good! I might have to give them a try when I get time!
LikeLiked by 1 person
They were delicious, really simple as well! Yeah, you should definitely give them a go, I recommend! 😂
LikeLiked by 1 person